Ingredients to Serve 10
- 1.5 to 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1.5 sweet potatoes
- Butter, for baking dish
- 2.5 cups shredded Gruyere cheese (10 oz.)
- 1.5 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary, plus sprigs for garnish
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes and sweet potatoes using a sharp knife, mandoline or food processor fitted with a slicing attachment.
- Butter a 13-by-9-inch or other 3- or 4-quart baking dish. Set aside 1/2 cup cheese. Alternate layers of potatoes and sweet potatoes, sprinkling each layer with some remaining cheese, a little minced rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Combine cream and garlic, pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Cover with heavy-duty foil; place on a sheet pan. Bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve garnished with rosemary sprigs.
Submitted by Sam Longstreet