- 2 large zucchini
- 0.25 teaspoon salt, plus an additional pinch, divided
- 0.25 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 oz Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 30 ounces skim milk ricotta
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 0.25 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 26 oz jar of pasta sauce
- Cooking spray
- Slice the zucchini with a mandolin into 3/16th thick slices.
- Put in a strainer and lightly sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit 15 minutes and blot with paper towels as you see moisture. You are trying to get as much moisture out of the zucchini as possible.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9×13 casserole dish
- Over medium heat, sauté the mushrooms in the olive oil with half of the salt and pepper. Cook until tender 5-8 minutes. Set aside.
- Dry zucchini strips well and lay out on cookie sheets. Sprinkle both sides with the rest of the salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes, flipping once. Carefully dry off any moisture.
- While zucchini is roasting mix the ricotta, eggs, parmesan, and parsley in a bowl. Set aside.
- Once the zucchini is roasted, you can start layering the lasagna!
- Start with a thin layer of pasta sauce. Add 1/3 of the zucchini noodles.
- Carefully top with 1/2 the ricotta, 1/2 mushrooms and 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
- Finish with a last layer of the zucchini noodles and the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45- 50 minutes. Remove foil after 20 minutes. Rest 10 minutes before serving.
30 oz may seem like a lot of ricotta cheese, but it works.
There may still be some additional moisture in the lasagna when you first cut it. Allow a paper towel to soak it up after you cut the first piece and that should take care of it!
Calories: 245kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 21gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 915mgPotassium: 684mgFiber: 3gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 804IUVitamin C: 17mgCalcium: 455mgIron: 2mg
Submitted by Sam Longstreet